Welcome to Sister Carlee Ann Painter's Mission Blog

This blog is for those who would like to keep updated with Carlee while she is serving her mission in Cincinnati. Her mom will be posting her letters and pictures.

For her address or any other information contact LaDawn at ladawn79@hotmail.com.

PLEASE LEAVE COMMENTS!
She'll love to read them when she gets home!

Friday, June 11, 2010

Strengthen Our Fortifications. . .


June 7, 2010

Dear Family:

You must have been praying for no more tornados because it worked! Haha. We had some incredible lightning storms but no tornados. Phew.

On Wednesday night we were at the church for our scripture study class (which I might add was the best class EVER) when one of the members came in and mentioned that we were in for a big storm. We looked out the window and there it was rolling forward, these big black clouds. It was crazy. All the scouts, youth, parents, and scripture study participants ended up camping out at the church for a few hours because of the storm.

So I have to tell you about that scripture study class! It was sweet! The lesson was about Fortifying our Families as taught from the Book of Mormon. First we read in Alma 59 where there were no fortifications to protect the people and the unfortunate result, and then read in Alma 50 where Captain Moroni made extensive fortifications to protect the Nephites. So naturally what did we do? Built a fort! (I included the picture.) It was a great fort: heaps of earth, pictets of timber, tall towers..

We likened that to our families and the things we have to do to fortify our families: family prayer, scripture study, testimonies, prophets, faith, repentance, service, family history, temples, etc. It’s incredible what the Lord has provided for us! Our family isn’t going to be attacked by Lamanites (thank goodness), but its being attacked by Satan and his temptations. When we remove those things Satan has direct access to our family. One of the saddest things about my mission is seeing the results of families with no fortifications.

We see it practically every day. It is really, really, really sad. We have the best family we really do! We need to do everything we can to protect it. You’ll have to read those chapters for family home evening next week, or even tonight! :)

Can you believe my year mark is this week! Ah! I hadn’t really thought about it until I got a letter from Molly and she pointed out that my “farewell” was exactly a year ago that day. Eck. That is crazy! Six more happy months!

I just have to tell you how much I love being a missionary, even when its dang hard! The best part is watching others learn and grow and become truly converted. I think watching Judy has been one of the most rewarding experiences in my life! We don’t do much, she does all the hard work, we’re just here to answer her questions. She has the fire of the Spirit with her! It’s amazing! She started the Book of Mormon and read all the way through Jacob in a matter of weeks. It was super tender to watch her struggle through the Isaiah chapters. We told her all of us struggle through 2 Nephi, seriously..

I can’t tell you how many times I started the Book of Mormon with the best of intentions and then hit 2 Nephi. I remember once, growing up, when I started the Book of Mormon at Jacob and then read through 1&2 Nephi last. Haha. I think that was the first time I read it all the way through. But she was so determined to read it. If only we, as long-time members, had that same determination.

That’s the commitment for the family this week: Will you keep reading the Book of Mormon with determination to get something out of it? There is power in that Book, there really is. I know that it will strengthen our fortifications against Satan, so it’s worth the effort!

I love you lots and lots and lots!

Sister Painter

1 comment:

Christopher said...

Were you building a fort?