Welcome to Sister Carlee Ann Painter's Mission Blog

This blog is for those who would like to keep updated with Carlee while she is serving her mission in Cincinnati. Her mom will be posting her letters and pictures.

For her address or any other information contact LaDawn at ladawn79@hotmail.com.

PLEASE LEAVE COMMENTS!
She'll love to read them when she gets home!

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

We Have Had The Most Amazing Week!



Hello family!

We have had the most amazing week! I don’t even know where to begin!

First off, I’m writing a little bit later because we were in Amish Country with Sister Taylor this morning (pictures included… don’t covet our treats from the bakery). The country out here is beautiful! We definitely need to come visit next summer! I’m glad Brother Taylor made it. He called for directions and I had to think for awhile and all I could say was, “Uh... I can’t remember anymore!” ha ha. So I’m glad he made it. The Taylors are wonderful!

So guess what! Shawn is getting baptized with Judy! Wahoo! We are so excited! He said he knew that it just felt right. Both of them have been nervous because they think they need to be perfect before their baptized. Not at all! Baptism is just the beginning. We just have to be willing to commit the rest of our lives to the Savior AND we have to be willing to make mistakes (something my perfectionist complex forgets sometimes). The Atonement works we just have to have faith in that. They are so amazing! I love these two so much!

Judy was telling us how badly she wishes she had the gospel earlier in her life (she’s in her 60s) but I remember hearing a friend quote one of the apostles saying some of us need the church early in our lives to help us “become,” but others will be able to “become” without the church and will eventually just need the ordinances of salvation. Judy and Shawn have definitely had lifetimes of becoming. They just need those saving ordinances available through the priesthood. (I, on the other hand, had to have the gospel from the very beginning!)

Oh! It has just been a great week. It was probably because we got to go to the temple on Tuesday. I know… temple, temple, temple. But I just can’t get enough of it! We went up with some of the sisters in the branch and it was wonderful. And then we got to hear from President Christensen (temple president) at Stake Conference this weekend. It was definitely a spiritual feast.

Besides the temple we’ve had tons of tender mercies this week. One quick story: Earlier in the week we had an appointment with the Fahey family who have been less-active since they moved here three years ago. They are the neatest family, they just weren’t coming to church. I happened to call Sister Geyer that morning and she was able to come with us last minute. During our time there we read the story of the First Vision and invited them to return to the temple. There was definitely a special spirit in their home and Sister Fahey told us how badly she wanted to but then admitted there was one thing she needed first and then broke into sobs. Sister Sunderland and I were super concerned, but in between sobs she explained that she has been in the branch for three years and she “just needed a friend.” My heart about broke in two. I was SO grateful for Sister Geyer who stood up, walked across the room, took Sister Fahey in her arms and reassured her that she would be that friend. Heavenly Father knew what Sister Fahey needed to return to the temple and he provided a way for her to accomplish it.

But in all honesty I have been dwelling on that experience all week. All she needed was a friend. How often have I over-looked people who needed the same? So family, I really want to encourage you to look around (not just at church) and befriend someone who needs you. I was so paranoid about it that before Stake Conference I invited one of the ladies who was sitting alone to come up and sit with us. We are all brothers and sisters and our goal isn’t just to return to our Father’s presence, but it is to get as many of our brothers and sisters there with us.

I love you so much! I am so grateful for the examples you have given me of reaching out and helping others. I think I have the #1 family for that!

Have a good week! We definitely will!

Sister Painter



2 comments:

Holli and Corey Walton said...

Oh my goodness. That quote about "becoming" was exactly what I needed to hear.

Patty said...

I'm so glad that you were that friend to Aimee when she needed one so badly. Thank you for being so willing to share your sweet spirit with us. We still miss you!