Welcome to Sister Carlee Ann Painter's Mission Blog

This blog is for those who would like to keep updated with Carlee while she is serving her mission in Cincinnati. Her mom will be posting her letters and pictures.

For her address or any other information contact LaDawn at ladawn79@hotmail.com.

PLEASE LEAVE COMMENTS!
She'll love to read them when she gets home!

Monday, April 5, 2010

Modern-day Prophets and Apostles!



Dear Family:

This definitely is another week I wish I could tell you EVERYTHING! The Lord truly is in the details and it is amazing. However, I can’t write that much. Bummer huh!

First off, CONGRATS on being the 2010 Parents of the Year! I knew you were special, now the whole world gets to know it too! What an honor! Dad, just accept the award! I know you hate that, but if you would stop being so great you wouldn’t have to:) I sure love you both! I have been so blessed to have the family I do. I’ve been thinking a lot about you due the major theme of General Conference on families. It was INCREDIBLE!

I knew with the first two speakers, President Packer and Sister Beck, that this conference would be just what the world needs right now. I can’t even describe the depth of gratitude I have for prophets and apostles today who commune with the Lord frequently and who spend their lives teaching us what He would have us do. Can you believe it! Modern-day prophets and apostles!

For a few minutes this morning I was reading in Jesus the Christ by James E. Talmage about the Dark Ages and the Great Apostasy. What a horrible time to live! It truly was dark times, particularly spiritually. Contrast that with the light we have because of Joseph Smith’s prayer, a vision of God the Father and Jesus Christ,and a prophet on the Earth today. I am so grateful!

I think I’m extra grateful right now because I’ve spent so much time with those who are still caught up in those “dark-ages” philosophies of men. They are searching for the truth but are distracted. I appreciated Elder Foster’s words when he said, “A distraction doesn’t have to be evil to be effective.” How true.

I loved President Monson’s remarks about how he didn’t live in the time of the Savior’s mortal ministry, but he believed the words written centuries ago testifying of Him. He believed the words written by the Nephites. He believed the words of Joseph Smith. We have so many recorded testimonies of the Savior. Do we read them? Do we believe them?

Our mission presidency challenged us to study the last week of the Savior’s mortal ministry to prepare for Easter. Interestingly enough we had some inside time for a few days because I got pretty sick, so Sister Thacker and I had lots of time to spend in the New Testament and in Jesus the Christ. It was a really humbling experience to consider His life and what He did for us. I didn’t live in Jerusalem at the meridian of time either. I didn’t follow the Lord as he walked the region teaching and healing. I didn’t see Him condemned, crucified, or resurrected. But I believe the testimonies of those who did. I really do.

I know that Jesus is the Christ, that he lived a perfect life to be an example for us. I know that He gave His life out of perfect love for us. And I know we will one day see the prints on His hands and His feet! I can’t see them now, but I know they are there. I know that I’ve received a witness from the Spirit that these things are true. And I am so grateful.

I’m grateful that we can feel His influence during these “perilous times.” I’m grateful for families, for temples, for leaders and teachers, missionary work, family history work, all things given us that we can come to know Him. Honestly, I basically cried like a baby all the way through President Monson’s talk. Haha.

I am especially grateful that we have the truths of the gospel and that I get to share them with the people I have to come to love here. Our investigators are doing so well! Ernest, who officially changed his name to Nana, passed His citizenship test and is going to be baptized the end of this month. Wahoo. We have a couple more upcoming baptisms too. Lots and lots of tender mercies! I’ll have to tell you more about them next week!

I’m glad all went well with the Wedding! Congratulations Cindy & Kelly!!!!! Thanks for the picture everyone!

Tell Brandon to send me a list of all the really fun missionary approved things to do in Cincinnati Ohio! I hope he got an A on his report!

I love you all! Lots! So let’s do everything we can to make sure our family is together forever!

Sister Painter

Picture is at the Peaces: Sister Peace colored a Christmas tree Easter egg. Can you see it? Ha ha

No comments: