Welcome to Sister Carlee Ann Painter's Mission Blog

This blog is for those who would like to keep updated with Carlee while she is serving her mission in Cincinnati. Her mom will be posting her letters and pictures.

For her address or any other information contact LaDawn at ladawn79@hotmail.com.

PLEASE LEAVE COMMENTS!
She'll love to read them when she gets home!

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Week #2. . .Letter From Sister Painter!

June 23, 2009

I LOVE the MTC! And I love this work! I seriously could say that all day! Sure its difficult at times... okay... its really difficult! But I love it! I'm constantly getting pushed out of my comfort zone. I've realized the Lord qualifies who he calls, but there is a logical way he does it. He makes us grow! ha ha!

I've had so many incredible experiences this week I don't even know where to start!

We've been able to work at the R.C. almost everyday. It's usually a really great experience (between getting yelled at, hung up on, and commiting someone to be baptized over the phone)! Wow! Everytime we walk out of there we have plenty of stories to be shared! One of my calls that stands out this week was a woman I talked to for about a half hour. Her name is Dorothy. It was an incoming call (which is always nice because you know they are calling because they want to) and she wanted a Book of Mormon. What I quickly realized was that she had a severe speech impediment and I could hardly make out what she was saying, but she was trying so hard to communicate with me. So what did I do... prayed! Really hard! And you know what I learned: the Spirit truly does increase capacity. Finally about half way into our call I could better understand her and we had a wonderful discussion. She had lots of questions, especially about the Godhead. It was wonderful to be able to teachify (teach+testify) to her about God our Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost. After about a half hour we both needed to go but she let me send the missionaries to her to learn more (really just so she could ask the rest of her questions). Moral of the story: The Spirit increases capacities! And the Church is true!

Later this week, Sister Carter and I had a teaching appointment (the T.A. formally known as the T.R.C.). This was our second time teaching an "investigator" at the T.A. and we were a little nervous. Sister Carter and I have been learning a lot about how to meet needs and both of us felt completely inadequate. We did our best to prepare and prayed hard for the Spirit. Our purpose as missionaries is to invite all to come unto Christ, even fake investigators. We taught a small elderly woman named Caleen. As we taught the Spirit spoke. Just like my experience with Dorothy, the Spirit increases capacity! It really does. Both Sister Carter and I walked out of there shocked. We had no idea we could literally be used as tools like we just had been. The Spirit was so thick and all encompassing you could almost reach out and touch it. Sister Carter and I were touched, and we know that Caleen was too. Moral of the Story: You testify, the Spirit teaches!

One last story this week. This was a fun one for me. Yesterday I had a migraine. Sister Carter and I use a 1-10 scale for our headaches now. 1 means you have one, 10 means pending implosion. I was definitely at a 12. It was even more discouraging because we missed most of classes for the day and that is the worst feeling! Especially because Sister Carter had to stay with me. I struggled through most of the day, but it really wasn't a huge deal. Last night we went to explain to one of our teachers the circumstance and he turned to me and asked if I needed a blessing. (This was about the 5th offer that day.) I said I would be okay, but he gave me that look. I knew I was relying on myself and not on my Savior. Busted. And I knew it. So I was annointed and blessed. It was powerful. Each of the Elders in my district stood in the circle, and each of the Sisters sat and listened. I know that we were each taught a powerful lesson about the priesthood and about our Savior's atonement. "With his stripes we are healed." It's never occured to me like that before. I went back to bed and with a little sleep I was fine (something medication didn't even do). I had to ask myself, am I really trusting my Savior with everything? We know we should, but are we holding on when we should let go? (As a side note, I was promised that my migraines wouldn't effect my mission! But they are to humble me and help me rely on the Lord.) Moral of the Story: There is REAL power in the Priesthood.

Heavenly Father really does love each of us. And we need to remember that he has set us up to succeed, not to fail. I know that some of these are really personal experiences. So don't judge, and I hope you learn something just like I have.

I leave for CINCINNATI on June 29, next Monday! I'm thrilled! A little nervous, but extremely excited! Next time you'll hear from me will probably be from Ohio! I'm going to miss my District, Sisters, and Companion! I sure love them!Hmmm...

I sure hope there will be mail waiting for me when I get there! (Hint Hint)

I love this work! I really, really do!

Sister Painter!

Scripture of the Week:

2 Corinthians 12:9-10
And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therfore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

Therfore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

1 comment:

Holli and Corey Walton said...

That is almost exactly like my favorite scripture! Ether 12:28